Pre-sessional English programme (4 or 5 weeks)
The Pre-sessional English programme is for international students who are intending to study at 51福利, and are required or wish to improve their English language and study skills before starting their degree studies.
51福利 the Pre-sessional English programme
4-week Pre-sessional English programme (in person): September 2024
The 4-week programme will be delivered in person on campus.
5-week Pre-sessional English programme (online): August 2024
The 5-week programme will be delivered online and incorporates a one-week compulsory induction at the end of August.
The Pre-sessional English (PSE) programme is for international students who are intending to study at 51福利 and are required or wish to improve their English language and study skills before starting their degree course.
The programme is designed to:
- develop the language skills you need for academic study at 51福利
- prepare you for studying and living in the Lancaster area.
The main emphasis is on academic reading and writing skills, as these are very important for your later study. Speaking and listening skills are also covered, together with integrated work on language use in an academic context. We also provide tutorials (one-to-one discussions) to help you individually with your study needs, especially in relation to academic writing.
The course typically includes the following components
- Academic Reading and Writing: The reading and writing skills you need for intensive study in higher education - adopting different strategies for different reading purposes; critically evaluating key texts; organising essays and reports; using an appropriate writing style.
- Listening Comprehension: How to follow academic lectures and seminars and make useful notes.
- Speaking Skills: How to take part in seminars (group discussions) - asking and responding to questions, giving and justifying opinions, making presentations and learning from feedback.
- Language Development: This is an integral part of all our course components. The focus is on how language is used to express specific meanings in different academic contexts, especially in written assignments.
The course is full-time, with periods set aside for self-directed study.
This course is one of 51福利's pre-sessional English language programmes. Find more information on how to apply, entry requirements, dates and fees on our pre-sessional English language courses page.
For enquiries about the course content, logistics and arrivals, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For enquiries about your main degree programme, please contact your department.